Termeh is a type of Persian handwoven cloth, produced primarily in the Isfahan province. Now the Yazd Termeh is the most beautiful and famous in the world. Yazd is the center of the design, producing and marketing of Termeh. Weaving termeh requires a good wool with long fibers.
What is Termeh?
Termeh is a nice cloth which is woven since Safavi era in Iran. There is an argument between researchers about its origin. Some of them believe that termeh has been made in Kashmir and then brought to Iran.Others say that Iranian have been the innovators of weaving termeh and this material has been taken into concentration like other handicrafts in other parts of the world (Kasmir: Historical region divided between India and Pakistan). But it is a real fact that Iranian termeh in comparison with what ever produced in Kashmir is much better and it has different colours and designs. The only reason that made the Kashmir famous is using a kind of string which is produced by wild goat’s wool. Besides the main place where it lives is Himalaya mountain range located north of India. So Kashmiri termeh weaves have had more availability to it while Iranian had to use fleece.
In the past, the first step in termeh weaving was preparing its raw materials. So it was very important to be careful while preparing wool, washing and drying it. Weaving termeh needs a good wool which has tall fibres. Usually, the designs of Iranian termeh were the result of the cooperation between two main persons- an expert and a worker. Weaving Termeh was a very careful, sensitive and time-consuming work that a good weaver could produce only 25 to 30 centimetres (1 feet) in a day. The background colours which are used in termeh are mostly jujube red, light red, green, orange and black.
Application of Termeh
To complete the interior design, it is necessary to decorate all the tables in the house, from the front desk to the dining table, in elegant and clever ways and a tablecloth may be one of the smallest parts of your home decor, But that does not diminish the importance of making the right choice, Therefore, any defect or shortcoming in choosing the right tablecloth will manifest itself prominently. In the past, the royal classes and the affluent strata of society provided Termeh at an exorbitant price and used it as a luxurious and aristocratic cover for items such as curtains, rugs, tablecloth, and so on. Termeh today used for such as cushions, table cloth, furniture cover, handbags, and even shoes and one of the greatest Iranian customs is to decorate the Haftsin on the Termeh tablecloth.
Maintenance and Washing Termeh
Termeh is woven with various designs in different parts of Iran; one of the best samples of it belongs to Yazd. Due to its high density in warp and weft, this kind of textile has good hardness. You need to protect it from sunlight, humidity, and webbing clothes mot. Naphthalene is the best organic compound to protect it cloths against webbing clothes mot. Remember, to washing Termeh take it to the dry cleaning.
What is Sermeh Doozi?
Sermeh doozy is a prominent needlework used in ancient Persia. It is an embossed technique used on expensive pieces of fabric and clothing ever since. The artist uses a threaded needle and passes it through small delicate pieces of gold embroidery tube (Sermeh) and sews and secures it to the fabric.The designer usually uses pearls and beads too to make the design more glamorous and also outstanding. This sort of embossed work is truly outstanding and one of a kind.
10 Tips For Purchasing A Good Persian Termeh
The price and quality of Termeh are determined based on appearance characteristics and technical points. Here are 10 important points about recognizing the quality factors of this beautiful souvenir:
- Termeh is often made of Silk, Polyester or Viscose and Yarn or cotton. If more silk is used in this fabric, Price and final quality of the product will be higher. Polyester Termeh are usually very cheap and will not last long.
- Termeh fabrics are woven in different densities. The higher density of the Termeh fabrics, will cause the better quality and higher price.
- The number of colors used in Termeh is also an important factor for the qualitative and financial evaluation of Termeh. The more colors used in Termeh fabric, the more quality, beauty and price of the work goes up.
- The brand of Termeh will also affect the quality and price of Termeh. The more experienced and old makers produce the greater the quality of the Termeh. Unbranded Termeh are made in China and will only retain their appearance for a while. Obviously, the price of this type of Termeh is very low.
- Termeh thickness is one of the most basic factors in buying Termeh, the thicker the more durable and the higher the quality.
- For desktop Termeh and runners, dimensions are one of the factors influencing the price of goods. It is better to check the dimensions before buying. The best type of desktop Termeh is with dimensions of 100 x 100 cm, which is suitable for all types of tables.
- Some sellers provide you the raw fabric for sale. This type is without lining and embroidered ribbon, which will cost you extra. It is better to prepare embroidered Termeh (lined).
- Termeh design is also effective in quality and price. More efficient designs are more expensive and less expensive designs are cheaper.
- Termeh texture is machine and manual. It is clear that hand-woven Termeh is much more expensive and valuable.
- The country of manufacture of the product also has a significant impact on its price and quality. The Best Termeh Produced in Iran.
Where to Buy Persian – Iranian Termeh
The best place to buy Persian Termeh “Termeh Online Store” that are reasonably priced and quality is very important. There are different types of Iranian Termeh and different prices can be considered for them depending on the type and location of texture, so if you think that to find the top quality Persian Termeh, you have to spend a lot of time visiting antique shops and agencies selling Iranian goods, Please be with us until the end of this section to introduce you to the best place to buy different types of Iranian Termeh.
Just like vintage furniture, there are actually a lot of vintage Persian Termeh Shop online, if you know where to look. But one of the best online stores that selling Iranian and Yazd Termeh is Artazon website. Why Artazon!!! Artazon is the largest online Persian Termeh Shop from the public point and has been operating for almost 5 years. One of the key advantages of this website is the focus on customer satisfaction, which has been very important throughout this activity. Artazon located exactly in Iran, Therefore, they offer carpets that can not be found in other online and offline galleries “Termeh Shop“, and their Termeh Tablecloth collection is updated weekly and new Persian Termeh Tablecloths are placed on their website. All of Termeh that offered at Artazon are 100% Made in Iran.
Termeh is a precious fabric woven from very fine fibers, which is one of the exquisite textile handicrafts of Iran.
Termeh is a type of traditional Iranian textiles that has been produced in Greater Iran since ancient times. Termeh mostly used in various products such as Termeh tablecloths, runners, cushions, rugs, bedspreads, ties, clothes, etc. Termeh Handwoven Fabrics
In the beginning, Zoroastrians were the founders of the art of Termeh weaving and used it to sew traditional and religious pants and other clothes, especially for their ceremonies and celebrations they were using the striped type as a waist scarf.
Termeh is usually identified with its paisley pattern , which has its own story and description. The symbol and role of Paisley Pattern in Termeh rooted in the original Iranian-Zoroastrian culture, which is representing a bent Cypress Tree.
A bent Cypress Tree representing Modesty and humility to the God (Ahuramazda) .There is a story that Zarathustra, the ancient prophet of Iran, planted this heavenly tree in front of the fire temple, and since then this bent cypress has been used as a symbol of sacred and Ahuraian role in the Termeh exquisite fabric.
Earlier, all Termeh was woven completely handmade without the intervention of any machine. Later in the following centuries, traditional Termeh weaving machines were made little by little.
Until forty or fifty years ago, all Termeh was woven with the same traditional machines. Recently the new machines could produce different qualities and thicknesses of silk and in variable widths.